All about the Braves and baseball events.
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Spring Opener Not So Bright For Braves
The Atlanta Braves lost their Grapefruit League opener to the Detroit Tigers, 5-4 Wednesday afternoon.
Second-year starter Jair Jurrjens started the game for Atlanta and the Tigers opened with five-year veteran Justin Verlander. Each pitcher went two innings.
The Tigers scored two runs off of Jurrjens and a third off of Jo-Jo Reyes (Reyes also had a two-inning stint). The Braves countered, scoring three runs off of Brandon Lyon in the fifth inning. Hyped Braves prospect Jordan Schafer smacked the first home run of the exhibition season, a seventh-inning solo shot off of Eddie Bonine, who went 12-4 with a 4.15 ERA and 1.18 WHIP with Toledo last season.
The Tigers got the last laugh, though. They tied the game in the bottom of the seventh (lefty Eric O'Flaherty was the victim) and scored the go-ahead run in the eighth off of Braves non-roster invitee Juan Perez.
Kelly Johnson had a double for Atlanta and Manny Acosta and Stephen Marek had scoreless innings. Schafer and Josh Anderson each had a stolen base.
W - Fu-Te Ni (1-0)
L - Juan Perez (0-1)
S - Kyle Bloom (1)
HR - Jordan Schafer (1)
- ► 2010 (64)
- Braves Clip Blue Jays, Lowe Decent In Braves Debut...
- Kawakami Impresses In Spring Debut, Braves Shut Do...
- Braves Make First Comeback Of Year, Get Past Astro...
- Spring Opener Not So Bright For Braves
- The Professional Hitter
- The Victory Lap, Part Deux
- The Next Best Thing?
- Braves Land Garret Anderson For Left Field Positio...
- Glavine Returning To Braves
- Now Applying For Atlanta LOOGY...
- Griffey Picks Seattle, Allegedly Upset Over Story
- The Kid Who Is Not So Much A Kid Anymore Talking W...
- The Braves' Own Juan Pierre (Except With A Few Mor...
- The Best Walking Slap-Hitter Ever!
- For The Last Time, It's Spelled With A "Z"!
- The Cobra's Ready To Strike
- Ganbate, Kawakami-San!
- ▼ February (17)
- ► 2008 (50)