Position: Left Fielder
Weight: 170 lbs.
2009 Age: 25
For someone who Bobby inserted into the lineup after Bobby Cox lost faith in Matt Diaz being an everyday player, Blanco didn't do too bad. :) He first emerged as a platoon partner for Diaz. However, he was inserted as the full-time center fielder after Mark Kotsay injured his back. Blanco platooned with Omar Infante after Kotsay returned to the lineup.
Blanco is a bit of an anomaly. He's a slap-hitter with very little power. However, his walk totals make him valuable. This may mean he has a role on the team next year. He's only a mediocre defender and doesn't run the bases well, as evidenced by his weak stolen base totals despite his raw speed.
HE'S GOT SOME PATIENCE: Out of every player in baseball history with an 81 OPS+, Blanco had the most walks (74) since Walt Weiss, who had 79 with Florida in 1993. Blanco is sixth overall on the list.
BIG WALKER: Last season, Blanco was second on the Braves in walks (74). Chipper Jones lead the team with 90 free passes.
BLANCO AND WEISS:: Continuing on the first point, Weiss's 1993 season and Blanco's 2008 season were remarkably similar:
Walt Weiss, 1993: 591 PA, .266/.367/.308, 14 2B, 2 SB, 1 HR, 39 RBI, 79 BB, 73 SO
Gregor Blanco, 2008: 514 PA, .251/.366/.309, 14 2B, 4 3B, 1 HR, 38 RBI, 74 BB, 99 SO
My Outlook: If the Braves don't trade for Nick Swisher or Xavier Nady, Blanco may have to fight Brandon Jones and Josh Anderson for a spot in the Braves outfield. He does have the most experience, so he does have an edge. If he makes the team, look for him to continue to provide walks and nothing else.
All about the Braves and baseball events.
- ► 2010 (64)
- Braves Clip Blue Jays, Lowe Decent In Braves Debut...
- Kawakami Impresses In Spring Debut, Braves Shut Do...
- Braves Make First Comeback Of Year, Get Past Astro...
- Spring Opener Not So Bright For Braves
- The Professional Hitter
- The Victory Lap, Part Deux
- The Next Best Thing?
- Braves Land Garret Anderson For Left Field Positio...
- Glavine Returning To Braves
- Now Applying For Atlanta LOOGY...
- Griffey Picks Seattle, Allegedly Upset Over Story
- The Kid Who Is Not So Much A Kid Anymore Talking W...
- The Braves' Own Juan Pierre (Except With A Few Mor...
- The Best Walking Slap-Hitter Ever!
- For The Last Time, It's Spelled With A "Z"!
- The Cobra's Ready To Strike
- Ganbate, Kawakami-San!
- ▼ February (17)
- ► 2008 (50)