Position: Left Fielder
Weight: 190 lbs.
2009 Age: 37
Unsatisfied with their lot in the outfield and still smarting from being spurned by Ken Griffey, Jr., the Braves signed former Angel Garrett Anderson to a one-year deal.
Anderson is a professional batter at this point in his career. He has never been one to take a free pass (his career high in walks is 38), and he has only struck out more than 90 times in a season two times; therefore, he's a man who puts the ball in play. One may say he's what Juan Pierre would be if he could hit some doubles and homers. I'm spinning that as being a compliment as much as I possibly can.
BABIP TELLS ALL: Anderson's BABIP (batting average with balls in play) the last three seasons:
This means that it's a good bet that Anderson will bat in the high .280s to low .290s for the Braves in 2009 given the same amount of playing time and good health.
GOOD WITH THE GAME ON THE LINE: Anderson's Late & Close stats were exemplary last season, including his walk totals:
102 PA, .371/.441/.528, 4 HR, 19 RBI, 12 BB
About 41% of his walks came in Late & Close situations.
My Outlook: Anderson gives the Braves the veteran outfield bat they coveted, but can he keep up his batting average and remain slump-free in a new organization and league? If he still has something left in the tank, he should. I don't know whether he'll continue to regress in the power department, but I do believe he'll keep his batting average from .280-.295 most of the year.
All about the Braves and baseball events.
- ► 2010 (64)
- Braves Clip Blue Jays, Lowe Decent In Braves Debut...
- Kawakami Impresses In Spring Debut, Braves Shut Do...
- Braves Make First Comeback Of Year, Get Past Astro...
- Spring Opener Not So Bright For Braves
- The Professional Hitter
- The Victory Lap, Part Deux
- The Next Best Thing?
- Braves Land Garret Anderson For Left Field Positio...
- Glavine Returning To Braves
- Now Applying For Atlanta LOOGY...
- Griffey Picks Seattle, Allegedly Upset Over Story
- The Kid Who Is Not So Much A Kid Anymore Talking W...
- The Braves' Own Juan Pierre (Except With A Few Mor...
- The Best Walking Slap-Hitter Ever!
- For The Last Time, It's Spelled With A "Z"!
- The Cobra's Ready To Strike
- Ganbate, Kawakami-San!
- ▼ February (17)
- ► 2008 (50)