It may have all started with a suspect bullpen move by Team Venezuela. The next thing they knew, the United States clinched a berth in Round Two, finishing a 15-6 victory off with a double play groundout by Miguel Cabrera.
Roy Oswalt started for Team USA and allowed one run through three innings. The fourth inning was where he hit a wall. Carlos Guillen walked with one out and Jose Lopez doubled. A groundout by Ramon Hernandez drove in a run, Marco Scutaro walked and Gregor Blanco singled home another run, giving Venezuela a 3-2 lead.
They carried that lead into the sixth inning. The frame started with Kevin Youukilis striking out, but the pitch got away from Hernandez and Youkilis was able to make it to first base. David Wright singled to move Youkilis to second and Adam Dunn drew a walk. Mark DeRosa, who had given Team USA a 2-1 lead in the fourth with a two-run triple, then worked a walk to force in a run. Venezuela then brought in left-hander Carlos Vasquez to face the right-handed Chris Ianetta. Team USA's catcher responded with a bases-clearing double that gave the United States a 5-2 lead. After Curtis Granderson struck out, Derek Jeter, who came in for Jimmy Rollins in the fifth, walked and then Dustin Pedroia followed with a two-run double and after Ryan Braun's groundout, Youkilis, the 10th man to bat in the inning, launched a two-run homer to left. The eight runs scored in the inning is a Team USA high and World Baseball Classic record for runs scored in an inning. Team USA relievers combined to hold Venezuela to three runs on seven hits in 5 2/3 innings.
Ianetta, starting in his first game, went 2-3 with the three-run double and two walks, scoring a run. Youkilis went 2-6, hitting a two-run homer and scoring four runs. Adam Dunn walked, singled and homered, scoring three runs for Team USA.
Jose Lopez was the hitting star for Team Venezuela. He went 3-4 with three doubles, also scoring two runs. Leadoff hitter Gregor Blanco was 3-5 with two singles, a triple, a stolen base and a run scored.
Venezuela will play the winner of the Italy-Canada elimination game.
W - Matt Lindstrom (1-0)
L - Victor Zambrano (0-1)
HR - USA - Kevin Youkilis (2)
Adam Dunn (2)
Ryan Braun (1)
VEN - Carlos Guillen (2)
C Chris Ianetta, United States - 2-4, 2B, 2 BB, R, 4 RBI
1B Kevin Youkilis, United States - 2-6, HR, 4 R, 2 RBI
LF-3B Mark DeRosa, United States - 1-2, 3B, R, BB, SF, 4 RBI
EDIT: Added link to box score and updated future game scenarios.
All about the Braves and baseball events.
- ► 2010 (64)
- Chipper Jones Signs Three-Year Extension
- Braves Snatch Victory From the Jaws Of Defeat In W...
- Josh Anderson Swapped To Detroit For Pitcher Darro...
- Big Bounce Gives Tigers Win Over Braves
- Yanks Take Advantage of Jurrjens' Inconsistency
- Braves Pull Out Win Against Tigers In Pitcher's Du...
- BRAVES PROSPECT BUSTS: The Closer Of The Future?
- Blue Jays Batter Braves' Bullpen, Pull Out Victory...
- Nats Take Charge, Beat Braves
- Bucs Outpitch Braves, Win 5-2
- BRAVES PROSPECT BUSTS: THE LAST TEN YEARS
- Yattaa!: Japan Rides Big Innings To Finals, Defeat...
- Braves On Other Side Of Saturday's Score, Lose To ...
- Glavine's First Spring Start A Success, Braves Thr...
- Braves Come Back, But Drop Game To Marlins In Extr...
- Vazquez Makes Triumphant Return, Braves Defeat Tig...
- Hurting Venezuela Wins Second Straight Seeding Gam...
- Hanson Impresses Again, Braves Beat Mets
- Wright Lifts Team USA To WBC Semifinals In Walk-Of...
- Jurrjens Cruises, Braves Defeat Mets
- Team USA Lives To Bat Another Day, Ousts Holland
- Braves Bail Out Lowe, Defeat Astros
- Puerto Rico Lowers the Boom On USA, Wins In Seven
- Cardinals Win Pitchers' Duel Over Braves
- Braves Come From Behind, Run Away From Marlins
- Braves Smack Phillies Around, Win By Eight
- Venezuela Avenges Earlier Defeat, Wins Pool C
- Braves Defeat Phillies In Slugfest, Win Fifth Stra...
- Lowe Masterful, Braves Victorious Over Astros
- Team USA Pounces On Venezuela's Pen, Wins Big
- Hanson Another Nice Outing, Braves Top Phillies
- Power Battle Ends With United States Victorious
- Braves Win Second Straight Spring Game Over Yanks
- Braves Crush Astros, Allow Just Two Hits
- After Slow Start, Braves Take Care Of Venezuela
- Team USA Wins Homer-Happy Tune-up Over Phillies
- Kawakami, Kotchman Pitch And Bat Braves Over Yanks...
- Blue Jays Rally In Ninth, Top Team USA
- Team USA Takes Advantage of Youth, Hold On For Vic...
- Braves Smash Panama For Double Digits
- Phillies Get To Relievers To Beat Braves
- ▼ March (41)
- ► 2008 (50)