When Shane Victorino gloved the fly ball from the bat of Jason Bay, Team USA could finally move on from the embarrassing 8-6 upset that Canada pulled off back in the 2006 Classic. Team USA scored all six of their runs on the strength of three homers and held on for a 6-5 victory.
Jake Peavy started for the United States and wasn't particularly sharp. In three innings, he walked three batters and allowed two runs, including a solo shot by DH Joey Votto. He left the game trailing 2-1.
Kevin Youkilis led off the bottom of the fourth for Team USA with a solo home run off of Canada starter Mike Johnson. After Adam Dunn walked and Ryan Braun struck out, Brian McCann launched a two-run homer to right that gave Team USA a 4-2 lead.
Canada countered in the top of the sixth when Jason Bay coaxed a walk out of new pitcher Joel Hanrahan to lead off the inning and Mark Teahen doubled him to third. Bay then scored on a wild pitch by Hanrahan. In the bottom of the inning, Youkilis led off with a walk and Adam Dunn followed by crushing a breaking ball into the left-center field stands, putting the United States up 6-3. Canada countered in the top of the seventh off of Scot Shields when Russell Martin lined a home run over the left field wall. Canada stranded two runners in that inning, though.
The United States left the bases loaded in the seventh and eighth innings, setting the stage for the ninth. J. J. Putz, the Mets' set-up man, was sent in to close the game. He got pinch-hitter Adam Stern to ground out to deep short. Jimmy Rollins uncorked a very strong throw to get Stern at first by a half-step. Martin then followed with a double off the top of the wall in left-center. Votto then doubled over Victorino's head to drive in Martin. On the very next pitch, Justin Morneau grounded sharply to Rollins for the second out. After seven pitches and two balls fouled off, Bay flied out to Victorino in right to end the game.
Team USA plays Venezuela tonight in Game 3 of Pool C.
W - LaTroy Hawkins (1-0)
L - Mike Johnson (0-1)
S - J. J. Putz (1)
HR - CAN - Joey Votto (1)
Russell Martin (1)
USA - Kevin Youkilis (1)
Brian McCann (1)
Adam Dunn (1)
DH Joey Votto, Canada - 4-5, 2B, HR, R, 2 RBI
1B Kevin Youkilis, United States - 1-2, HR, 3 R, 2 BB, RBI
C Brian McCann, United States - 1-2, HR, R, BB, SF , 3 RBI
EDIT: Added link to game box score.
All about the Braves and baseball events.
- ► 2010 (64)
- Chipper Jones Signs Three-Year Extension
- Braves Snatch Victory From the Jaws Of Defeat In W...
- Josh Anderson Swapped To Detroit For Pitcher Darro...
- Big Bounce Gives Tigers Win Over Braves
- Yanks Take Advantage of Jurrjens' Inconsistency
- Braves Pull Out Win Against Tigers In Pitcher's Du...
- BRAVES PROSPECT BUSTS: The Closer Of The Future?
- Blue Jays Batter Braves' Bullpen, Pull Out Victory...
- Nats Take Charge, Beat Braves
- Bucs Outpitch Braves, Win 5-2
- BRAVES PROSPECT BUSTS: THE LAST TEN YEARS
- Yattaa!: Japan Rides Big Innings To Finals, Defeat...
- Braves On Other Side Of Saturday's Score, Lose To ...
- Glavine's First Spring Start A Success, Braves Thr...
- Braves Come Back, But Drop Game To Marlins In Extr...
- Vazquez Makes Triumphant Return, Braves Defeat Tig...
- Hurting Venezuela Wins Second Straight Seeding Gam...
- Hanson Impresses Again, Braves Beat Mets
- Wright Lifts Team USA To WBC Semifinals In Walk-Of...
- Jurrjens Cruises, Braves Defeat Mets
- Team USA Lives To Bat Another Day, Ousts Holland
- Braves Bail Out Lowe, Defeat Astros
- Puerto Rico Lowers the Boom On USA, Wins In Seven
- Cardinals Win Pitchers' Duel Over Braves
- Braves Come From Behind, Run Away From Marlins
- Braves Smack Phillies Around, Win By Eight
- Venezuela Avenges Earlier Defeat, Wins Pool C
- Braves Defeat Phillies In Slugfest, Win Fifth Stra...
- Lowe Masterful, Braves Victorious Over Astros
- Team USA Pounces On Venezuela's Pen, Wins Big
- Hanson Another Nice Outing, Braves Top Phillies
- Power Battle Ends With United States Victorious
- Braves Win Second Straight Spring Game Over Yanks
- Braves Crush Astros, Allow Just Two Hits
- After Slow Start, Braves Take Care Of Venezuela
- Team USA Wins Homer-Happy Tune-up Over Phillies
- Kawakami, Kotchman Pitch And Bat Braves Over Yanks...
- Blue Jays Rally In Ninth, Top Team USA
- Team USA Takes Advantage of Youth, Hold On For Vic...
- Braves Smash Panama For Double Digits
- Phillies Get To Relievers To Beat Braves
- ▼ March (41)
- ► 2008 (50)