Team USA may have lost Chipper Jones and Dustin Pedroia for the rest of the tourney, but replacement Brian Roberts contributed immediately and teamed with shortstop Jimmy Rollins to pace Team USA to a 9-3 victory.
Rollins drove in four runs with a 2-4 night, including a two-run shot in the second inning, an RBI triple and a sacrifice fly. Brian Roberts reached base in all five of his plate appearances and scored two runs. He had a double and triple in his 3-3 night. Adam Dunn and Ryan Braun each had two hits for Team USA. One of Dunn's hits was a home run to straight-away center field in the sixth inning.
Roy Oswalt started for the United States and pitched four scoreless innings. He allowed five hits and left the bases loaded in the third; he also struck out five hitters and didn't walk a single batter. LaTroy Hawkins, Scot Shields and Johnathan Broxton all had scoreless innings for the United States.
The Netherlands had four players with two hits each; the team matched Team USA in the hit column 12-12. Bryan Engelhardt hit the Netherlands' only home run of the tournament off of Matt Lindstrom in the eighth inning. Because he appeared to admire his home run, Lindstrom threw a foot behind the next batter, Vince Rooi, on the next pitch. The Netherlands' players and coaches, naturally, did not take kindly to this and they came out of the dugout. Things settled down, and no further retaliation occured.
The United States will play another elimination game against Puerto Rico Tuesday evening. The winner will advance to the WBC semifinals with Venezuela. A game will be played with Team Venezuela for seeding purposes, like the previous round.
SS Jimmy Rollins, United States - 2-4, 3B, HR, 2 R, 4 RBI
2B Brian Roberts, United States - 3-3, 2B, 3B, 2 R, 2 BB, RBI
P Roy Oswalt, United States - 4 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 SO
All about the Braves and baseball events.
- ► 2010 (64)
- Chipper Jones Signs Three-Year Extension
- Braves Snatch Victory From the Jaws Of Defeat In W...
- Josh Anderson Swapped To Detroit For Pitcher Darro...
- Big Bounce Gives Tigers Win Over Braves
- Yanks Take Advantage of Jurrjens' Inconsistency
- Braves Pull Out Win Against Tigers In Pitcher's Du...
- BRAVES PROSPECT BUSTS: The Closer Of The Future?
- Blue Jays Batter Braves' Bullpen, Pull Out Victory...
- Nats Take Charge, Beat Braves
- Bucs Outpitch Braves, Win 5-2
- BRAVES PROSPECT BUSTS: THE LAST TEN YEARS
- Yattaa!: Japan Rides Big Innings To Finals, Defeat...
- Braves On Other Side Of Saturday's Score, Lose To ...
- Glavine's First Spring Start A Success, Braves Thr...
- Braves Come Back, But Drop Game To Marlins In Extr...
- Vazquez Makes Triumphant Return, Braves Defeat Tig...
- Hurting Venezuela Wins Second Straight Seeding Gam...
- Hanson Impresses Again, Braves Beat Mets
- Wright Lifts Team USA To WBC Semifinals In Walk-Of...
- Jurrjens Cruises, Braves Defeat Mets
- Team USA Lives To Bat Another Day, Ousts Holland
- Braves Bail Out Lowe, Defeat Astros
- Puerto Rico Lowers the Boom On USA, Wins In Seven
- Cardinals Win Pitchers' Duel Over Braves
- Braves Come From Behind, Run Away From Marlins
- Braves Smack Phillies Around, Win By Eight
- Venezuela Avenges Earlier Defeat, Wins Pool C
- Braves Defeat Phillies In Slugfest, Win Fifth Stra...
- Lowe Masterful, Braves Victorious Over Astros
- Team USA Pounces On Venezuela's Pen, Wins Big
- Hanson Another Nice Outing, Braves Top Phillies
- Power Battle Ends With United States Victorious
- Braves Win Second Straight Spring Game Over Yanks
- Braves Crush Astros, Allow Just Two Hits
- After Slow Start, Braves Take Care Of Venezuela
- Team USA Wins Homer-Happy Tune-up Over Phillies
- Kawakami, Kotchman Pitch And Bat Braves Over Yanks...
- Blue Jays Rally In Ninth, Top Team USA
- Team USA Takes Advantage of Youth, Hold On For Vic...
- Braves Smash Panama For Double Digits
- Phillies Get To Relievers To Beat Braves
- ▼ March (41)
- ► 2008 (50)