2B Kelly Johnson
Johnson began the season at a position previously unfamiliar to him: second base. However, with the tutelage of Glenn Hubbard, he turned in a decent season on the field. At the dish, Johnson relied on very nice plate discipline (.375 OBP, tied for sixth among all regular second basemen) and did very well in the leadoff and second spots. A chunk of his RBIs came from batting seventh in the lineup (15 of 68), though 40 of them came from the leadoff spot. He even had 10 triples. Kelly won't be making the All-Star team this season, but you can bet your bottom dollar that he'll continue to improve going into his Age 26 season.
AVERAGE - 6 - Kelly had a decent average for a second baseman, but s prone to striking out a bit. That could have possibly been the product of fatigue.
POWER - 7 - Johnson's power was very good for a second baseman. Although it isn't quite top tier, a .457 SLG for a second baseman is still at the top of the league, and he could do better.
BASERUNNING - 7.5 - Johnson only stole nine bases and was caught five times. However, he had much better base-running skills in general. Johnson went from first to third in 12 of 27 opportunities and was able to go from first to home 4 out of 8 times. He wasn't caught advancing or doubled off once.
THROWING - 7 - Johnson has a good arm for guy who had a shoulder problem just a couple of years ago. He is usually very accurate.
FIELDING - 5 - Johnson had a few problems picking up grounders backhanded going to his right and as a result garnered 14 errors on the season. However, with a year of experience under his belt, he should improve next year.
TOTAL - 32.5 (B-) - Johnson provided an overall upgrade to Marcus Giles's subpar 2006 campaign and Kelly should only get better.
BP: .279/.376/.467, 18 HR, 72 RBI, 11 SB
BJH: .282/.384/.473, 19 HR, 76 RBI, 10 SB
RW: .272/.367/.473, 18 HR, 61 RBI, 7 SB
SN: .270/.357/.454, 15 HR, 56 RBI, 8 SB
Sam: .278/.380/.462, 17 HR, 65 RBI, 9 SB
All about the Braves and baseball events.
- ► 2010 (64)
- ► 2009 (104)
- Wild Home Opener Ends In Pittsburgh's Favor
- After Pitching Battle, Zimmerman Walks Off For Nat...
- The Braves' Roster Before The REAL Opening Day!
- Yeah, The Motivation Hasn't Been There
- Braves Claw Back, But Astros End On Top
- Hampton Very Solid, But Cards Beat Braves
- The Rest Of The Bench; Glavine In Command, Frenchy...
- Braves Drop Both Sides of Split Squad
- Escobar Slams, Thorman Blasts, Braves Win 9-1.
- Braves Tie Tigers; Lillibridge Drives In Three
- Braves Ride Nine-Run Fourth To Victory, Beat India...
- Hanrahan Steals The Show For A While; Game Ends In...
- Jair Jurrjens Sharp; Braves Beat Cardinals Again
- Braves Pound Cardinals
- Braves Drop Both Split Squad Games
- Hampton Out With Groin Strain, Braves Lose To Tige...
- Braves defeat Tigers 5-4, Game called
- Braves one-hit Indians, win 4-1
- Braves Pound Phillies
- Mets Squeak By Braves In 10th
- Braves Defeat Astros Again
- Braves Post Come-From-Behind Victory Over Astros
- ▼ March (30)