FLORIDA 10, ATLANTA 4
The Braves managed to get a not-so-sharp Derek Lowe off the hook, but the bullpen was unable to hold off the Marlins as the Fish scored six runs in four innings of Braves bullpen work in the 10-4 win.
The Marlins scored four runs off of Derek Lowe, courtesy of seven hits and five walks. They scored in the first inning with a Dan Uggla single. The Braves responded in the bottom of the inning with Omar Infante's sac fly after Kelly Johnson tripled to lead off the frame.
Florida then tacked on three in the top of the fifth with an RBI single by Cantu and a two-run double by Uggla. The Braves got the runs back with a Casey Kotchman double, Martin Prado's fielder's choice groundout to the pitcher and Omar Infante's bloop hit that dropped into the Bermuda Triangle in center. This took Lowe off the hook for the loss.
Buddy Carlyle held the Marlins off the board and Hayden Penn was able to do the same for the Fish against Atlanta. Peter Moylan came on in the seventh for his first back-to-back outing of the year. He allowed a single to Jorge Cantu then struck out Dan Uggla for the first out. Jeremy Hermida was intentionally walked to get to Cody Ross, but the slumping outfielder was plunked on the backside on the first pitch to load the bases. Moylan got Cameron Maybin to strike out swinging, but he walked Ross Gload, forcing in a run. Eric O'Flaherty came on and got Emilio Bonaficio swinging to limit the damage.
That didn't last long, though.
After Rafael Soriano had a perfect eighth, Blaine Boyer started the inning for the Braves. Five batters later, he had allowed two runs and only recorded one out. Jorge Campillo attempted to put out the fire, but he was tagged for two RBI singles after a strikeout. He was able to escape further damage, but the damage had already been done, so to speak.
W - Hayden Penn (1-0)
L - Peter Moylan (0-1)
2B Dan Uggla, Florida - 2-4, 2B, R, 3 RBI
C John Baker, Florida - 2-6, 2 R, 2 RBI
1B Jorge Cantu, Florida - 2-5, 2 R, BB, RBI
Photo by John Amis
EDIT: Changed link to Baseball-Reference.com boxscore
All about the Braves and baseball events.
- ► 2010 (64)
- Braves Take Two Of Three From Reds
- Braves Come Out On Top In Pitcher's Duel
- Nationals Pull Out Second One-Run Victory Over Ree...
- Two Rain Delays Don't Spoil Debut For Zimmerman
- Braves Bring Their Bats, Bash The Bucs
- Craig Monroe Single-Handedly Dispatches Braves
- Pirates Frustrate Braves Bats, Hand Them Fourth St...
- Marlins Complete Sweep In Convincing Fashion
- Bullpen Woes Continue As Marlins Smack Around Brav...
- Braves Hooked By Fish; Volstad Wins Pitching Duel
- Braves Don't Give Nationals A Bailout
- Kawakami Shouritoushu!: Kenshin Wins In Major Leag...
- Seesaw Battle With Nats Ends With Braves Up
- Braves Bullpen Implosion Hands Phillies Victory
- Braves Staff Holds Phillies Off The Board, Hit Two...
- Opening Day Thrills For Braves, Lukewarm For Phill...
- 2009 Atlanta Braves Opening Day Roster
- Tigers Patiently Pound Braves In Final Spring Game...
- Braves Begin Final Spring "Series" With Win
- Jurrjens Impressive In Final Spring Start, Braves ...
- Braves Pick Glavine Up With Homers, Beat Tigers
- Astros Batter Braves, Chipper Homers After Extensi...
- ▼ April (22)
- ► 2008 (50)