ATLANTA 4, PHILADELPHIA 0
Jair Jurrjens pitched 5 2/3 innings of shutout ball and the Braves pen finished putting up the zeroes in the 4-0 victory.
Kelly Johnson hit the first pitch into the right field seats for the Braves' first score. After Yunel Escobar grounded out, Chipper Jones hit a long double that hit off the center field wall. He came around to score on a rare error by Chase Utley. Brian McCann's grounder went under Utley's glove and into right field. Jones came around to score on that.
The Braves added another run in the fourth. Jeff Francoeur led off with a single and Casey Kotchman's single moved him to third. After Jordan Schafer popped up to short and Jair Jurrjens struck out, Kelly Johnson hit a slow bouncer to short and beat Rollins's throw to the bag, scoring Francoeur.
Jones led off the fifth inning with a solo home run to cap the Braves' scoring off of Phillie starter Jamie Moyer. After the fifth inning, four Phillies relievers, including fifth starter Chan Ho Park, combined to retire twelve straight Braves batters.
The Braves bullpen was similarly effective. Jurrjens left the game after walking Pedro Feliz with two out in the inning. Jeff Bennett came on to face Carlos Ruiz, but gave up a single to left. Matt Stairs was called on to pinch-hit, so Bobby Cox went with new lefty Eric O'Flaherty. Stairs launched a full-count pitch to right-center, but the hard wind, blowing out to right field, held it in the park for Jordan Schafer.
O'Flaherty pitched 1 1/3 innings of scoreless ball and Rafael Soriano pitched around a two-out walk to Feliz. Mike Gonzalez, who pitched in the opener, got Eric Bruntlett to line out to left field, where Garret Anderson made up for a misplay in the second inning (a liner by Raul Ibanez popped out of his glove and he couldn't corral it) by tracking down deep liners from Eric Bruntlett and Jimmy Rollins. Shane Victorino hit a fly ball to center that Schafer caught easily, completing the shutout.
W - Jair Jurrjens (1-0)
L - Jamie Moyer (0-1)
HR - Kelly Johnson (1)
Chipper Jones (1)
P Jair Jurrjens, Atlanta - 5 2/3 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 2 K
2B Kelly Johnson, Atlanta - 2-5, HR, R, 2 RBI
3B Chipper Jones, Atlanta - 2-4, 2B, HR, 2 R, RBI
AP Photo By John Amis
EDIT: Added photo credit and changed boxscore to Baseball-Reference.com's boxscore and play-by-play.
All about the Braves and baseball events.
- ► 2010 (64)
- Braves Take Two Of Three From Reds
- Braves Come Out On Top In Pitcher's Duel
- Nationals Pull Out Second One-Run Victory Over Ree...
- Two Rain Delays Don't Spoil Debut For Zimmerman
- Braves Bring Their Bats, Bash The Bucs
- Craig Monroe Single-Handedly Dispatches Braves
- Pirates Frustrate Braves Bats, Hand Them Fourth St...
- Marlins Complete Sweep In Convincing Fashion
- Bullpen Woes Continue As Marlins Smack Around Brav...
- Braves Hooked By Fish; Volstad Wins Pitching Duel
- Braves Don't Give Nationals A Bailout
- Kawakami Shouritoushu!: Kenshin Wins In Major Leag...
- Seesaw Battle With Nats Ends With Braves Up
- Braves Bullpen Implosion Hands Phillies Victory
- Braves Staff Holds Phillies Off The Board, Hit Two...
- Opening Day Thrills For Braves, Lukewarm For Phill...
- 2009 Atlanta Braves Opening Day Roster
- Tigers Patiently Pound Braves In Final Spring Game...
- Braves Begin Final Spring "Series" With Win
- Jurrjens Impressive In Final Spring Start, Braves ...
- Braves Pick Glavine Up With Homers, Beat Tigers
- Astros Batter Braves, Chipper Homers After Extensi...
- ▼ April (22)
- ► 2008 (50)